Emergency Management Degree
The number of natural disaster's are on the rise, from hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunami's, volcano's, nuclear disasters, and more. There is also the potential for man made disasters such as terrorist attacks, biological and chemical spills, healthcare epidemics, and more. Disaster's on this scale require pre-planning, coordination, and quick implementation on many levels, which is why the high level of need for skilled professionals who have emergency management degree's and training.
Emergency & Disaster Management Courses & Training Topics:
- Emergency procedural protocol planning
- Evacuation procedures
- Efficient medical attention & deployment of medical resources
- Logistics, reconstruction of critical infrastructure
- Search & Rescue Missions
- Canine unit
Communication methods and hierarchy of command is another important aspect of emergency management and disaster recovery efforts. The roles of various national and local teams in both the private, public, and non-profit sectors and their ability to work together as a cohesive team is critical. You'll learn how to coordinate with local fire, law enforcement, and emergency medical teams. It is also necessary to survey the hospitals in the area, determining which are at capacity, and how to channel large volumes of victims in one geographic area.
Editors Picks - Emergency Management Programs
Saint Leo University
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization (Online)
- Associate's - Criminal Justice (Online)
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Management (Online)
- Master of Science in Critical Incident Management (Online)
- Click Here to request information on Saint Leo University's Emergency Management Programs.
- BA - Homeland Security and Emergency Management (Online)
- BA - Social and Criminal Justice - Homeland Security (Online)
- BA/Social and Criminal Justice - Security Management (Online)
- Click Here to request information from Ashford University.
Grand Canyon University
- B.S. in Public Safety and Emergency Management (Online)
- B.S. in Public Safety Administration (Online)
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement (Online)
- Click Here to learn more about Grand Canyon's Emergency Management programs.
Click here to see more schools.
Am I a good fit for an emergency management degree?
Both the public and private sectors employ individuals in a variety of roles in emergency management. The military, law enforcement personnel, first responders, fire, medical workers and more will all benefit from an emergency management degree or certificate.
What kind of jobs can I get in disaster management?
The leading employer is FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). However, emergency management efforts are often the result of several agencies and departments at the local and federal levels working together in a coordinated fashion.