Post 9/11 GI Bill

Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is a program offered through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that provides financial support to prospective students pursuing a university or college degree or professional training. You can qualify for these educational and housing benefits if you have served at least a total of 90 days of active duty on and/or after September 11, 2011. You may also qualify if you only served 30 days since 9/11 if you were discharged due to a disability that arose from service.

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

If you have served in the military or in any other department covered by Veterans Affairs and plan on taking an associate, bachelor or graduate degree or professional training (such as an apprenticeship or flight training), then the Post 9/11 GI Bill is something that can directly assist you as you advance to your next educational and career level.

Sponsored Content

Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Under the GI Bill, those pursuing a degree at a Higher Learning Institution or professional training (including technical/vocational training, apprenticeship programs, on-the-job training, flight training or licensing tests) will receive full or partial coverage of associated fees if eligible. Benefits include:

  • Full or partial coverage of tuition and fees. Amounts range from 100% down to 40%: 100% of tuition is covered for a public institution (or up to $17,500 per year at a more expensive institution) for those who served at least 36 months; 40% of tuition is covered for someone with 90 days of service. Visit the Veterans Affairs site to view a breakdown of the maximum benefits payable:
  • E-5 personnel with dependents qualify for a monthly housing allowance if pursuing their educational program on campus and half the monthly allowance if pursuing distance/online learning.
  • Recipients are also eligible for a recompense of up to $1,000 to go towards text books and other student-related fees.
  • If you are moving from a rural area to pursue education in person, you may qualify for a $500 relocation fee.

* Note: If your tuition or educational fees exceed the amount covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you may be able to have the rest of your expenses covered through the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Sponsored Content


To be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

  • You must have served in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard or in any other department covered by Veterans Affairs for at least 90 days on and/or since September 11, 2011. If you have only served 30 days, you are still eligible if you were discharged due to disability.
  • If you are no longer on active duty, you must have been honorably discharged (for reasons of retirement, disability or a transfer to a Reserve fleet/corps).
  • If you wish to transfer your GI Bill educational benefits to your spouse or dependents, you may be eligible to do so if you have served at least 10 years in the Armed Forces or Reserves or if you have served at least 6 years and plan on serving at least 4 more years. Visit the Veterans Affairs site for more detailed information on eligibility of transferring your benefits, particularly if you are up for retirement: