Additional Military Assistance Programs

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Veteran's Individual Training Assistance

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) provides education benefits to those serving in the Selected Reserve or the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) (including the Air Force, Army, Naval, Coast Guard and Marine Corps Reserves, the Air and Army National Guards and the Marine Corps, Army, Air Force and Navy IRRs). You are eligible for Reserve Educational Assistance Program benefits if you have been on active duty for at least 90 days, on or since September 11, 2001, as part of a contingency operation, such as the Afghanistan or Iraq wars.

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

REAP benefits may be provided for up to 36 months towards university degree programs, vocational training, apprenticeship programs or other professional training programs. REAP benefits are a percentage of the Montgomery GI Bill education benefits and are based on time served. For example, if you have actively served for two or more consecutive years, you are eligible for 80% of the Montgomery benefits which equates to $1,178.40/month for a full time degree granting program (as of October, 2011).

Sponsored Content

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

The Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) allows military personnel to make contributions towards their education. For every dollar you contribute, it will be doubly matched by the government. For example, if you contributed $2,700 (the maximum allowed) over a time period, the government will contribute an additional $5,400. In some instances the Department of Defense will also make additional contributions (kickers) towards your education benefits.

Under the Veterans Educational Assistance Program, your first date of service/enlistment must fall between January 1, 1970 and June 30, 1985 and you must have started making contributions before April 1, 1987. If you are no longer serving, you must have been honorably discharged. VEAP benefits may be used towards a university or college program (including online or distance education), a certificate program, apprenticeship or job training programs or other professional courses, such as flight training. You have up to ten years after your release from the military to use your VEAP benefits.

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA) is provided to spouses or children of veterans who died, disappeared or became permanently and completely disabled in the line of duty. The DEA program contributes education benefits to these immediate family members who are pursuing a university or college degree, a certificate program or an apprenticeship program. Generally spouses have up to 10 years to access the Survivors & Dependents Assistance from the time her husband or his wife has been killed, gone missing or become disabled. Children are generally able to use the educational benefits between the ages of 18 and 26, although there are exceptions that may be made. The monthly benefits provided by the DEA program depend on the type of education being pursued and whether recipients are studying full or part time. For example, as of as of October 2011, spouses or dependents are eligible to receive $957/month if studying full time at a degree-granting institution.

Sponsored Content