Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. The seventh annual push to bring awareness to the growing problem of cyber crimes & computer identity theft. Cyber crimes range from the hacking of email, cellphones, personal computer, to even more serious security breaches of public transportation systems, airplane navigation, equipment, medical records, online stores, and credit card information.
Cyber criminals use this information for a wild variety of personal and monetary gain. Both personal and business users can take a few easy steps to help protect themselves by:
- Choosing secure logins, and protecting their passwords
- Understanding & updating computer anti-virus software
- Understanding computer firewalls
- Coordinating virus and spyware defense
- Training employees good computer security habits
- Safeguarding your personal data, and the data of your customers
- Teaching children about online safety
Students interested in learning more about working in cyber law enforcement might consider earning a Computer Forensics Degree. This degree prepares students for jobs with law enforcement agencies as well as government and private organizations conducting investigations and gathering evidence in cyber crimes.